Mel has been practicing law in Lexington, Kentucky since his graduation from law school in 1986. His focus has always been on business and commercial matters but his experience and expertise includes a wide variety of areas: mergers and acquisitions, equity and debt financings, contract development and negotiations, restructurings, and product distributorships (domestic and international). In addition, Mel has considerable experience in the regional energy industry having represented a large number of natural gas/coal producers, transportation companies and utilities. In addition to his transactional business experience, Mel also litigates all manner of commercial disputes, from contract enforcement to lender liability to mineral lease disputes. He has litigated in federal and state courts throughout Kentucky and has participated in arbitrations, mediations and administrative proceedings.
Prior to forming Rose Camenisch Mains PLLC in 2015, Mel spent his career with a large Kentucky-based firm. While at the prior firm, Mel served on its finance, personnel and administrative committees and was Chairman of the firm’s corporate practice group.
Mel, a native of Danville, Kentucky, graduated from Vanderbilt University in 1983 and from the University of Kentucky College of Law in 1986. While in law school, Mel served on the Kentucky Law Journal. Mel is AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated™ by Martindale-Hubbell® and is a Fellow of the Kentucky Bar Foundation. Mel also served several years as a Trial Commissioner for the Kentucky Bar Association. He is currently serving as the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Bluegrass Community & Technical College Foundation, Inc., having been on the Board for nine years. Mel has also served on the Audit Committee for the Central Kentucky YMCA.
- Kentucky, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Kentucky
- University of Kentucky College of Law, Lexington, Kentucky
- J.D. - 1986
- Law Journal: Kentucky Law Journal, Member
- Vanderbilt University
- B.A. - 1983
- Long Term Coal Supply Contracts: Sellers Warranties & Remedies, 9 Eastern Mineral Law Institute, 10-1, 1989
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Kentucky Bar Association, Member; Trial Commissioner
- Fayette County Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Kentucky Bar Foundation, Member